Have you got your tickets yet for our 12th Annual Art & More for Shelter? Don't wait! We have a limited number of tickets this year due to social distancing, and are excited to see you all!
If you are joining us virtually there's no need to purchase tickets, just make sure you've liked our Facebook page so you get the notification when we go live at 7 PM on April 29th to share the program portion of the event!
The in-person event will be from 6 – 8 PM at Curate in the East Village and will feature catering by Taste-to-go, a cash bar, live music by Darian Taylor, and a short program highlighting Hawthorn Hill’s successes and recognizing our partners over the last year.
Funds raised at the event will support central Iowa families experiencing homelessness through our two programs: New Directions Shelter, a 30-day emergency shelter and The Home Connection, a supportive housing program for homeless families with children.
Whichever way you choose to attend Art & More for Shelter, we are grateful for your support!
Thank you so much to our 2021 Art & More for Shelter sponsors!
Claude Monet Sponsor at $5,000 or more: • Nationwide
We'd like to give a huge shout-out to Federal Home Loan Bank of Des Moines for their recent support!🎉BIG announcement (1/3!)🎉 Our employees' votes are in and we're thrilled to share that Bidwell Riverside Center/ Hawthorn Hill has been selected as our 2021 Key Partner for Low-Income Services! They will be receiving a $15,000 donation and volunteer support from FHLB Des Moines throughout the year. Click on our profile to congratulate our 2021 Housing and Financial Literacy partners! ... See MoreSee Less
Hawthorn Hill recently received Great Western Bank’s Making Life Great Grant for $5,000 to support The Home Connection. This program provides supportive housing in Des Moines for families with children transitioning out of homelessness, with an emphasis on helping the families attain financial independence through employment and education. These families typically stay in the program for two to four years, with the goal of being mentally and financially ready to move into their own home after they complete program.
The Home Connection program currently has 29 housing units and serves 40+ families each year. Families in the program work with a case manager who assists the families with achieving financial independence through employment, job training, and education. The case managers also provide the families with financial education including developing a household budget, establishing a debt reduction plan, and improving credit scores. The Home Connection is the only program with single family homes and duplexes located in Des Moines for homeless families with children. ... See MoreSee Less
In March we served 7 families that comprised of 9 adults and 13 children, and had 2 of those families exit the shelter. Thanks to taxes, stimulus money, and eviction protection our numbers remain fairly low (which is a good thing!). ... See MoreSee Less
Permanent part time position approximately 20 - 25 hours per week. This position performs both routine and preventive maintenance and repair procedures on properties owned by Hawthorn Hill. Flexible schedule and vehicle provided during working hours.
· Commonly used carpentry and maintenance concepts, safety procedures, and residential codes.
· Basic working knowledge of electrical, plumbing and heating/cooling systems.
· Good skill in the use of hand and power tools.
· Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos.
· Ability to write simple correspondence.
· Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
· Ability to use measuring tape and compute percent, dimensions.
· Ability to interpret miscellaneous drawings and schematics.
· Ability to use a computer.
· Able to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions.
· Certified or able to be certified in lead-based paint inspection and abatement.
- Perform minor and major repair of all buildings owned by Hawthorn Hill. - Perform preventive maintenance procedures on housing units as scheduled, i.e.; inspection, replacing filters, repairing interior and exterior of housing units. - Assist with the renovation/remodeling of housing units, repair plaster and drywall, and paint interiors and exteriors structures. - Perform outside duties such as snow removal, mowing of yards, and hauling trash. - Obtain estimates for supplies and repair parts, and order parts as required. - Maintain tool, equipment and supply inventory. - Maintain maintenance shop and truck. - Complete all paperwork required to maintain records of purchase, equipment, tools, repairs and replacement parts. - Assist with basic electrical wiring, plumbing, heating, and other major rehab as directed. ... See MoreSee Less
Reminder: if you are planning on donating items for Easter, please drop them off ASAP so we can make sure these kiddos have a great Easter!We are working on putting together an Easter celebration for the families with children currently staying at New Directions Shelter, and we need some Easter donations to make that happen!
• 8 Baskets (preferably baskets that can be re-used as storage when families move into their own homes) • Travel-sized activities for the kids • Easter candy • Easter eggs